Monday, March 10, 2014

We're here!





Valentines Day, 2014- We traveled xx miles and almost 25 hours to arrive in Thuwal, Saudi Arabia. Our new home for the next 3 years (David's Ph.D was only supposed to be 5 years too, so we'll see).  And we are happy to report that we LIKE it here!

Why are we in Saudi Arabia??  David was offered a great opportunity to work with a renowned researcher in his field. He will be a post doctorate in a plant science laboratory at KAUST-King Abdullah University of Science and Technology.  It is a new University that was built an hour outside of Jeddah, Saudi Arabia.

I laughed the first time he told me he was offered a position here. I said, uhm, no. We obviously both changed our minds as we researched this opportunity. I could go on and on about why we chose to come here, but in short, it met our needs, hopes and the lifestyle we were looking for. I dreamed of something international, but Saudi Arabia NEVER crossed my mind.  However, we feel very fortunate to have this once in a lifetime experience. We'll see if it's everything we envisioned it would be during these next 3 years :)

Everyone traveled and has adjusted wonderfully! All 3 kids have started school, David has started work, and I have started relaxing ;)  We love it!

No comments: